34-Year-Old UFC Middleweight 26-10-0
April 9, 2018 Nick Diaz News
RotoWire Fantasy Analysis
Diaz and the USADA have agreed to a sanction and he will be cleared to resume his fighting career on April 19, Brett Okamoto of ESPN reports.
The agreement was for a one-year suspension, but considering it's already been roughly a year since originally being held out, Diaz could resume fighting in the next 10 days. Whether the 34-year-old Diaz opts to do so is still unclear at this point, so it will be a situation to simply monitor for now. Diaz last took to the Octagon in January of 2015 when he suffered a unanimous decision loss to Anderson Silva.
Nick Diaz: Past News Updates ( ▲ View most recent update )
Fantasy AnalysisDiaz is currently suspended for failing to disclose his whereabouts to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which can happen if a fighter doesn't fill out a quarterly whereabouts update, or is not at the place they said they'd be if an agent appears for a drug test. Novitzky doesn't believe that Diaz was trying to avoid a test, but rather suggests that the welterweight's lifestyle in general has lead to these slip-ups. The two sides are hoping for a resolution in the near future, but there have been doubts cast that Diaz is even interested in fighting again in his career. The last time he competed was a January 2015, when he lost to Anderson Silva via unanimous decision.
Fantasy AnalysisThese allegations stem "from Diaz's alleged accumulation of three Whereabouts Failures within a 12-month period." As part of his UFC contract, he needs to make his location known in order to be administered the tests without notice. Diaz will be suspended until the issue is resolved, so his long-anticipated return to the Octagon will have to wait a few more months, at the very least. Now 33 years old, Diaz hasn't seen the Octagon since a January 2015 matchup against Anderson Silva that was ruled a no-contest. He hasn't officially recorded a victory since defeating B.J. Penn via unanimous decision in 2011.
Fantasy AnalysisDiaz last saw the Octagon in Jan. 2015, when he squared off against Anderson Silva in a fight that was ultimately ruled a no contest. Since then, he has served an 18-month suspension from the NAC due to a positive test for marijuana. Diaz was also ordered to pay a $100,000 fine, which hadn't been paid as of Aug. 20, as he was not allowed to corner his brother Nate in his UFC 202 match against Conor McGregor in Las Vegas. The exact terms of the settlement were undisclosed, but according to the report, Nick is now free to participate in any combat sport-related activities in the state of Nevada. This means that Nick can now be booked again by the UFC, and can once again step into the Octagon in search of his first win since 2011.
Fantasy AnalysisThere's no reason to believe that Diaz won't finish paying out his fines, although he'll technically remain ineligible to fight until he's paid in full. It was already announced back in August that he wouldn't be given a title shot with his first fight after suspension, however.
Fantasy AnalysisAlthough newly-crowned welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has expressed interest in fighting Diaz, it doesn't sound as if Nick wants to compete in the same weight class as his brother Nate. Furthermore, White has also said that Woodley's first title defense will be against Stephen Thompson, so that likely leaves Diaz out of the picture. There are many possibilities out there for Nick, who hasn't stepped in a UFC Octagon since January 2015.
Fantasy AnalysisBased on name recognition alone, the stock of Diaz has actually risen despite his 18-month absence from the octagon. The antics and recent victory of his brother Nate have only added to the Diaz momentum train, and there's a chance Nick may find himself competing for a title in late-2016. In fact, following Tyron Woodley's first-round knockout of Robbie Lawler at UFC 201 on Saturday, Woodley called out Nick for his next fight. Woodley is fully aware that this would be a big-money matchup, and it's a bout that makes sense for both sides. It's now in the hands of UFC matchmakers to make this happen.
Fantasy AnalysisDiaz was originally hit with a five-year ban and $165,000 fine for a positive test for marijuana following a Jan. 31 bout at UFC 183. Following significant public backlash, that suspension will be reduced to 18 months and the fine cut back to $100,000. The 26-9 welterweight will now be eligible to return to the Octagon in August.
Fantasy AnalysisDiaz was originally dealt a near-death sentence, as he was handed a five-year suspension after testing positive for marijuana. After an outcry from UFC fans and media at the harsh nature of the suspension, the commission was ultimately led to reconsider. Although the punishment is still severe considering the nature of the crime, it at least won't kill the career of Diaz. Taking into account the time he's already served, this agreement, if finalized, would make Diaz eligible to fight again in late-July of 2016.
Fantasy AnalysisConsidering that most UFC events take place in Las Vegas, the viability of Diaz's career seems to be in question following Monday's decision by the Nevada Athletic Commission. The fighter failed the marijuana drug test ahead of UFC 183 and now won't be eligible to return until he's 36 years old. Additionally, he has to give back 30 percent of his purse from the UFC 183 fight while the suspension is retroactive back to Jan. 31.